Tuesday, June 28, 2011

DIY-Strawberry Jelly




Yah!!!! I finally did it!!! I started to can! So I started off small, eventually I will get into using mom's pressure canner that she left me...but for now, I'm only doing water bath canning. To date: Strawberry jelly and watermelon jelly.
I am so proud of myself! I didn't think I could do it, but it really is fun!



There was only one kicked in the strawberry jelly that was an issue...the pot I was using to cook the strawberry mix in...was too thin on the bottom and it scorched a little bit...no big deal if I'm only using it myself...but I obviously can't give these away as gifts if I wanted too...I began my search for a heavier bottomed pot...easier said than done.



I thought: Why not use a double boiler? In our little town on Devils Lake, where there is a Walmart and a Kmart and two thrift stores, I thought surely I would find one of those!!....yeah...nope...at least not at first. I contemplated getting a 3 quart saucepan that had a pretty thick bottom...but I really wanted that double boiler in case I needed it for other things.



It turns out our Walmart did have one in the back...so I was all good on that...BUT...that was AFTER I had already made my next attempt at canning...watermelon jelly!

No comments:

Post a Comment