Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Friends on Limited Terms

We all have that one. That one "friend" that is only a friend on their terms, their time. This is the friend that is only there for you when it suits their needs. I don't understand these people. I don't understand how they can call themselves a friend, when it's obvious they don't understand the meaning of the word.

Webster: "a person whom one knows and with whom one has a bond of mutual affection"; Hmmm...okay that's not very descriptive. Maybe it's just me. For years, I've always been the one that kept friendships going. I was always the one making the calls, the plans to get together, etc. As I've gotten older, I've changed that thought. I'm tired of always putting in the effort and not seeing a reciprocal effort. So I began to stop putting in the effort. What I found was that those around me who actually cared about me...called first. I was able to get rid of the "weeds" per se.

As much as I don't understand the type of people who call themselves "friends" when it's obvious they don't care, I appreciate those that I've discovered I can trust with my life, and those others...I don't need them. The loss of their friendship, although painful, extremely painful in some cases, is their loss. Maybe they needed change in their life and one of those changes was our friendship. All the more power to them then. And I wish them luck. To those that stuck around with me. I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment